IT’S NOT ME! IT’S YOU!
A potential client of course wants to know:
- What you can do for them
- How your business might relate to theirs
And they are rightly more interested in THEIR business than YOURS.
But have you noticed the B2C companies you buy from?
Many are brilliant but not all remember this fundamental rule and they can get really caught up in formulaic practices and tick box customer service.
How many of these have you experienced?
- Companies asking you for your account number before they even say hello, tell you who they are and ask how they can help.
- Salespeople telling you about all the gadgets and tech but NOT asking what YOUR needs are and what’s important to YOU, and how they can solve your problems.
- Chat bots making assumptions or not understanding and giving you ridiculous and frustrating answers. They could add a message apologising if there is a misunderstanding and give a telephone number or live chat location.
- Automated telephony sending you round in circles and then saying, ‘thank you for your call – good bye’. After a few options, they COULD automatically route you to a person.
- The worst: getting through to a bereavement team and they immediately start telling you what to do without even saying they are sorry to hear…they’re the bereavement team for goodness’ sake. Some empathy and reassurance are needed.
Of course, some customer interactions need more personalisation than others. But even short ones (say buying something in a shop or a simple question on the phone) – can benefit from a burst of laser-like attention on the customer!
Did you know…
80% of consumers are more likely to buy from a company that provides a tailored experience and the top reason customers switch brands is because they feel unappreciated.
Proving it’s so important to personalise every interaction.